|Events & Classes
To list your event, email:
Note: Event listings
must be accompanied by a contact name and phone number or e-mail.
Bobby Bovenzi •
Raven Ritcey •
Jim Copeman •
Trevor Salloum •
The Rippers •
Yamabiko Taiko •
:: Yamabiko Taiko :: Beginners' Night, Thursday Sept 28 :: Kelowna
Yamabiko will be holding its first beginner practice of the fall season on Thursday Sept 28th! Find out about Japanese Taiko drumming, and experience both the music and physical vigor! The practice starts at 7 pm sharp. Wear loose or flexible clothing and be prepared to sweat a bit! Bring a water bottle to stay hydrated. Please arrive a few minutes early so we can start on time.
- Beginner practice fee: Only $5!!
- Yamabiko Taiko practises and performs Japanese taiko drumming throughout the Okanagan.
- Practices are held on Mondays & Thursdays from 7-9 pm at the Kelowna Buddhist Temple. Anyone may drop in and observe a practice for free.
- New members are welcome! First, complete a dedicated "beginners' practice", held at the end of September, November, January, March and April.
- Details of dates, times, costs, etc. are at the Yamabiko web site: http://www.yamabikotaiko.ca
:: Nankama Drum & Dance :: Classes :: Summerland & Penticton :: 2017
Nankama performs throughout the Okanagan, providing performances in African Drum and Dance. In addition, Nankama can provide interactive drum circles with audience participation, including you and your group.
Summerland: West African Drumming - Instructor: Bobby Bovenzi
- Summerland Drum, Sing and Jam: In these drop-in style lessons we will learn new rhythms and songs and occasionally dance steps, as well as free play in a drum circle format. A typical session will begin with a warm up and technique instruction for the beginners. We’ll then learn and play the rhythm and song chosen for that evening, and then conclude by taking what we have learned and improvising with it in a free flow drum circle format. Each week we will learn something new, and then end the month by revisiting the prior weeks rhythms. Dance steps will be included at times during the drum circle portion. Contact:
- 2nd and 4th Tuesday, 7 - 9 pm
- Dates: Tuesday January 31st, February 14, 28, March 14, 28, April 11, 25, May 9, 23
- Cost: Drop-in fee $15 (children age 10-19 are $10)
- Loaner drums are available for the drumless.
- Location: Oddfellows Hall, 9536 Main St. in Summerland.
Penticton: West African Drumming - Advanced Troupe - Instructor: Bobby Bovenzi
- Students will learn drumming techniques and traditional West African Rhythms on Djembe and Dunun stick drums. Dance lessons will be available specific to the rhythms being taught each month. There will also be opportunities to rehearse with our performing troupe and then perform at various events throughout the Okanagan Valley. Contact:
- Thursdays 6:30 - 8:30 pm
- Cost: Drop-in fee $15
- Loaner drums are available for the drumless.
- Location: Concordia Lutheran Church, 2800 South Main St.
- July 12, Naramata Farmers' Market. Time: 3 pm.
- Aug 3, Oliver Music in the Park, Oliver, Time 6:30 pm
- Aug 18-20, Salmon Arm Roots & Blues Festival, Salmon Arm, Time TBA
For more information on these events, visit www.nankama.com or email
:: Feel the Rhythm Weekly Drum Circles with Jim Copeman :: Kelowna
- Feel The Rhythm Community Drum Circle is now in its tenth year at the Rotary Centre for the Arts in Kelowna. We welcome everyone who wants to participate in recreational drumming regardless of experience. Our intent is to be inclusive and we welcome anyone who wants to experience the energy of group drumming.
- Every Wednesday, 7-9 pm, at the Rotary Centre for the Arts in Kelowna
- Drop-in fee: $10. Some drums are provided.
- Jim Copeman, drum circle facilitator for Feel The Rhythm Drum Circles and world fusion percussionist, hosts this event.
- Please contact Jim for more info at 250.763.1017 or 250.808.3110 or,
:: Kamloops Drum Connection :: Kamloops
- Drum Circles - Djembe Django, Kamloops Drum Connection Beatniks, and Ujamma are facilitated by Raven
- Drum Circles include intention setting, drum skills, rhythm sharing, jamming fun, songs, hand held percussion, and vocals.
- Djembe Django and the K.D.C. Beatniks meet most Mondays from 6:30 - 8 pm during Sept to June. Drum circle dates and random outside drum times are listed on Facebook.
- Phone for the venue. 250.318.0963 The drum is calling you!
- Information: Kamloops Drum Connection on Facebook and KamloopsDrumConnection.com. These sites contain info on dates, djembe basics, drum circles, events, lessons, and performances.
- Raven is a teacher & facilitator. Raven’s quest is to introduce people to drumming, to uplift spirits, invigorate the body and mind, and have people “djembe django” together.
- Email Raven and join the Kamloops Drum Connection E Mail List to find out what’s up and coming. All are welcome to be a drum buddy!
- Raven guarantees success; djembe rhythms and lesson skills are easy to remember, resource sheets are given, and phone, email contact, and review continues. Students learn about music and how to be part of a drum community. Lessons are also available through Skype.
- Contact Raven to book lessons, facilitation, percussion experiences, & entertainment by Djembe Django at : 250.318.0963 or