|Events & Classes
To list your event, email:
Note: Event listings
must be accompanied by a contact name and phone number or e-mail.
Drew Makepeace •
Bobby Bovenzi •
Jim Copeman •
Yamabiko Taiko •
:: Beginner West African Drumming :: Winter 2022 :: Penticton
- Learn to play traditional West African rhythms on the djembe (a goblet-shaped hand drum).
- This introductory series is aimed at complete beginners. It will teach you how to play the three basic sounds, develop a sense of rhythm, and play authentic West African rhythms in a group setting. Later in the series, dunduns (bass drums played with a stick) may be introduced to complete the musical ensemble.
- Next session:
Jan 18- Feb 22 (Six Lessons).
- Location: Penticton Community Centre Room 4. Note: masks and proof of vaccination are required to enter the classroom
- Time: Tuesday evenings: 7-8 pm.
- Price: $74
- Loaner djembes are available for the first ten registrants. Participants are welcome to bring their own djembe* as well (please let staff know when you register so that the loaner drum can be assigned to someone else).
*djembes only please; other types of hand drums are not suitable
- Instructor: Drew Makepeace.
- For more info contact Penticton Rec Centre at 250-490-2426, or register online.
:: Feel the Rhythm Weekly Drum Circles with Jim Copeman :: Kelowna
- Feel The Rhythm Community Drum Circle is now in its tenth year at the Rotary Centre for the Arts in Kelowna. We welcome everyone who wants to participate in recreational drumming regardless of experience. Our intent is to be inclusive and we welcome anyone who wants to experience the energy of group drumming.
- Every Wednesday, 7-9 pm, at the Rotary Centre for the Arts in Kelowna
- Drop-in fee: $10. Some drums are provided.
- Jim Copeman, drum circle facilitator for Feel The Rhythm Drum Circles and world fusion percussionist, hosts this event.
- Please contact Jim for more info at 250.763.1017 or 250.808.3110 or,
:: Raven Drum Connection :: BC Interior
- As a teacher and facilitator, Raven’s quest is to introduce people to drumming, to uplift spirits, invigorate the body and mind, and have people “djembe django” together.
- Drum Circles include intention setting, drum skills, rhythm sharing, jamming fun, songs, hand held percussion, and vocals.
- See Video Collection for drum band samples and lesson videos.
- Phone for the venue. 250.318.0963 The drum is calling you!
- Information: Raven Drum Connection on Facebook See Services Tab on Facebook for different lessons and workshops and see Videos Tab on Facebook for tips to get started with the djembe.
- Students get a full ensemble, drum skills, and skills for drum circles, jammin’, and playing choreographed ensembles. The teaching method “We say what we play!” is easy and fun!
- Raven guarantees success; djembe rhythms and lesson skills are easy to remember, resource sheets are given, and phone, email contact, and review continues. Students learn about music and how to be part of a drum community. Lessons are also available through Skype. All are welcome to be a drum buddy! The drum is calling you!
- Contact Raven to book lessons, facilitation, percussion experiences, & entertainment by Djembe Django at : 250.318.0963 or