|Events & Classes
To list your event, email:
Note: Event listings
must be accompanied by a contact name and phone number or e-mail.
Bobby Bovenzi •
Raven Ritcey •
Jim Copeman •
Trevor Salloum •
The Rippers •
Yamabiko Taiko •
:: Beginner West African Drumming :: April 3 - May 8 :: Penticton
- Learn to play traditional West African rhythms on the djembe (a goblet-shaped hand drum).
- This introductory series is aimed at complete beginners. It will teach you how to play the three basic sounds, develop a sense of rhythm, and play authentic West African rhythms in a group setting. Later in the series, dunduns (bass drums played with a stick) may be introduced to complete the musical ensemble.
- Dates: Apr 3 - May 8 (six lessons)
- Time: Tuesday evenings: 7 - 8 pm
- Location: Penticton Recreation Centre, 325 Power St in Meeting Room 4
- Loaner djembes are available for the first six registrants. Particpants are welcome to bring their own djembe* as well (please let staff know when you register so that the loaner drum can be assigned to someone else).
*djembes only please; other types of hand drums are not suitable
- Instructor: Drew Makepeace.
- For more info contact Penticton Rec Centre at 250-490-2426, or in person at the front desk. [Poster]
:: Yamabiko Taiko Performances this spring! :: Vernon, BC
Yamabiko Taiko performs Japanese Taiko Drumming for Haru Matsuri in Vernon.
For more info about Yamabiko Taiko, visit their web site: www.yamabikotaiko.ca
- Date: Saturday April 21
- Location: Vernon Japanese Hall, 4895 BellaVista Road
- Time: Event runs from 11 am to 3:00 pm
- Admission: $5 individual; $10 Family.
:: Nankama Drum & Dance :: Classes :: Penticton :: 2018
Nankama performs throughout the Okanagan, providing performances in African Drum and Dance. In addition, Nankama can provide interactive drum circles with audience participation, including you and your group.
West African Drumming - Instructor: Bobby Bovenzi
- A typical session will begin with a warm up and technique instruction for the beginners. We will learn drumming techniques and traditional West African Rhythms on Djembe and Dunun stick drums. Dance lessons will be available specific to the rhythms being taught each month. There will also be opportunities to rehearse with our performing troupe and then perform at various events throughout the Okanagan Valley.
- Thursdays 7 - 9 pm starting Jan 4th until April 26th. (Note: no class on Jan 18, Jan 25 and Feb 1)
- Cost: Drop-in fee $15
- Loaner drums are available for the drumless.
- Location: Concordia Lutheran Church, 2800 South Main St.
One World Festival, Penticton Lakeside Resort, Feb 24, 12:45 pm
For more information on these events, visit www.nankama.com or email
:: Feel the Rhythm Weekly Drum Circles with Jim Copeman :: Kelowna
- Feel The Rhythm Community Drum Circle is now in its tenth year at the Rotary Centre for the Arts in Kelowna. We welcome everyone who wants to participate in recreational drumming regardless of experience. Our intent is to be inclusive and we welcome anyone who wants to experience the energy of group drumming.
- Every Wednesday, 7-9 pm, at the Rotary Centre for the Arts in Kelowna
- Drop-in fee: $10. Some drums are provided.
- Jim Copeman, drum circle facilitator for Feel The Rhythm Drum Circles and world fusion percussionist, hosts this event.
- Please contact Jim for more info at 250.763.1017 or 250.808.3110 or,
:: Kamloops Drum Connection :: Kamloops
- Drum Circles - Djembe Django, Kamloops Drum Connection Beatniks, and Ujamma are facilitated by Raven
- Drum Circles include intention setting, drum skills, rhythm sharing, jamming fun, songs, hand held percussion, and vocals.
- Djembe Django and the K.D.C. Beatniks meet most Mondays from 6:30 - 8 pm during Sept to June. Drum circle dates and random outside drum times are listed on Facebook.
- Phone for the venue. 250.318.0963 The drum is calling you!
- Information: Kamloops Drum Connection on Facebook and KamloopsDrumConnection.com. These sites contain info on dates, djembe basics, drum circles, events, lessons, and performances.
- Raven is a teacher & facilitator. Raven’s quest is to introduce people to drumming, to uplift spirits, invigorate the body and mind, and have people “djembe django” together.
- Email Raven and join the Kamloops Drum Connection E Mail List to find out what’s up and coming. All are welcome to be a drum buddy!
- Raven guarantees success; djembe rhythms and lesson skills are easy to remember, resource sheets are given, and phone, email contact, and review continues. Students learn about music and how to be part of a drum community. Lessons are also available through Skype.
- Contact Raven to book lessons, facilitation, percussion experiences, & entertainment by Djembe Django at : 250.318.0963 or